The Chena River Bridge on University Avenue is CLOSED. This road will be CLOSED until fall 2021. Please follow the posted pedestrian and vehicle DETOUR ROUTES. Expect new traffic patterns daily on University Avenue north of the bridge and south of the Geist Road and Johansen Expressway intersection.
- Pedestrian access is maintained across the Chena River by crossing the temporary pedestrian bridge.
- Please follow pedestrian signage to ensure safe travels through the construction area.
- If you are traveling on or along the river:
- Please be aware of new bridge structures being built and the equipment in the construction zone.
- Upstream traffic must yield to downstream traffic while boating under the bridge structure.
- There is a "No Wake Zone" under the bridge.
- For more information, visit the project website at http://dot.alaska.gov/nreg/
Great Northwest Inc., in cooperation with the Alaska Department of Transportation, is working to construct a new bridge over the Chena River. The new bridge will include a raised median, two lanes in each direction with shoulders, a separated sidewalk on both sides, and a decorative railing. This project will be complete in October 2021.
Great Northwest Inc.