Through the fall, crews will be performing blasting activities on Monday and Wednesday nights (blasting days are subject to change) between 8:00pm and 5:00am. These blasting activities will require a FULL CLOSURE of the Seward Highway from MP 17 to 22.5.
The expected schedule for each closure:
- 8:00pm – The Seward Highway is CLOSED.
- 8:10pm-8:30pm – Crews perform blasting operations.
- 8:30pm-9:30pm – All clear and crews begin rock excavation to reopen the Seward Highway to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC as soon as possible.
- 9:30pm-5:00am – The Seward Highway is reopened to full capacity. This time will vary depending on how quickly the crews are able to clean up the highway.
Once the highway is cleaned and inspected for safety, the roadway will be opened to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC with flagging operations.
- Drivers should expect flagging and PILOT CAR operations Sunday nights through Friday mornings.
- Drivers should be aware of a SINGLE-LANE CLOSURE at Snow River Center bridge. Be alert to flagging operations.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with QAP, is working to improve the Seward Highway between MP 17 and 22.5. Project work includes replacing Victor Creek Bridge, rehabilitating Snow River Bridges, as well as installing grading, drainage, paving, signage and striping. This project is expected to be complete in Fall 2024.