- Through January 15, 2020, construction crews are working at the Waterfall Creek Bridges at MP 13.9 and 14.5.
- Crews are working between Mud Bay Road at Seaborne Marine to Waterfall Creeks project area, moving large girders out to the bridge site for setting girders for the future bridges.
- Drivers should expect INTERMITTENT LANE CLOSURES of the Tongass Highway at the bridge construction site.
- From Thursday, December 5 to Monday, December 23 girder movement and setting will continue.
- Drivers should expect slow traffic and short DELAYS on the Tongass Highway. Watch for lead and chase vehicles and flagging operations.
- Drivers should expect ONE-LANE TRAFFIC and DELAYS on the bridges, with reduced speeds of 15 MPH and flagging operations.
- Please follow all posted signs and watch for construction vehicles entering the roadway.
The Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Orion Marine Constructors, Inc., is working to replace the existing wood bridges at First and Second Waterfall Creeks with full width, two-lane concrete bridges free of load restrictions, with smooth asphalt driving surfaces and modern guardrail. Work is expected to be complete in summer 2020.
Orion Marine Constructors, Inc.