- Drivers should be alert to possible crews or equipment on the shoulder of the road at the Chena Point Avenue and Chena Pump Road intersection, as well as the Sheep Creek Road and Tanana Drive intersection.
- Drivers should be alert to a new traffic pattern at the Chena Point Avenue and Chena Pump Road intersection. There is now a dedicated right-turn lane for southbound traffic turning onto Chena Point Avenue from Chena Pump Road.
- Drivers should be alert to a new traffic pattern at the Sheep Creek Road and West Tanana Drive intersection. There are now marked crosswalks and a dedicated left-turn lane for traffic coming from the university and turning left onto the Sheep Creek Extension towards the Parks Highway.
- Traffic turning left onto the Sheep Creek Extension should yield to oncoming through and right-turning traffic. All traffic should yield to pedestrians.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with HC Contractors, is working to improve intersections in the City of Fairbanks and Fairbanks North Star Borough.
- At Chena Pump Road and Chena Point Ave: Crews will construct a dedicated right-turn lane for south-bound traffic turning onto Chena Point Ave from Chena Pump Road.
- At Sheep Creek Road and West Tanana Drive: Crews will widen the road at the intersection with Sheep Creek Extension, and install a dedicated left-turn pocket for traffic coming from the university, turning left onto Sheep Creek Extension toward the Parks Highway.
- At South Cushman Street and 23rd Avenue: Crews will repaint the stop bars further back from their current position to create more room for large vehicles turning south onto Cushman Street, allowing for an easier and safer turn.
This project is expected to be complete by mid-August of 2021.
HC Contractors, Inc.