Expected to go through Sunday, June 5, drivers should expect a CLOSURE of the Cushman Street Bridge between 1st Avenue and Illinois Street. Northbound travelers needing access to Illinois Street should follow the DETOUR on 1st Avenue to Wendell Avenue, then west onto Minnie Street.
- During the week of May 22, crews will be placing electrical, as well as new curb and sidewalk on the north side of the bridge.
- Expected to occur on Saturday, May 28 and Sunday, May 29, crews will be performing paving operations.
- Expect crews removing sidewalk and bridge railing on the Cushman Street Bridge.
- To access the north side of the bridge and Illinois Street, please follow the DETOUR ROUTE through Wendell Avenue.
- Be aware of hauling trucks along Cushman Street accessing the Chena River Bridge CLOSURE.
- Be alert to traffic control, signage, message board directions, and flagging operations.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with HC Contractors, is working to upgrade the Cushman Street Bridge over the Chena River. These upgrades include seismic bracing the girders and piers, installing new driving surface, restricting the lanes from three to two, widening sidewalks, as well as constructing a new ADA pedestrian path to connect with the path alongside the river. This project also includes installing a new lighting system and traffic lights at the Cushman Street and 1st Avenue intersection, as well as the Cushman Street and Doyon Place intersection.
HC Contractors Inc