3rd Street is CLOSED between Eagle Avenue and Hamilton Avenue. Drivers should follow the posted DETOUR routes.
Forty Mile Avenue off of 3rd Street is CLOSED. Please follow the posted DETOUR on 2nd Street. Use the Old Steese Highway to access 2nd Street and Graehl Park.
- Beginning Friday, September 17, 3rd Street from the Steese Highway to Eagle Avenue will be one-way heading eastbound. Westbound traffic should follow the posted DETOUR.
- Crews will be working daily from 7:00am to 11:00pm.
- Drivers should expect narrow lanes as crews place concrete, curb, and gutter.
- The Hamilton Avenue and 3rd Street intersection is now one-way heading southbound. Northbound traffic should follow the posted DETOUR.
- 3rd Street between the Old Steese Highway and the Steese Highway is open. Please continue to access businesses in the Gavora Mall from the Old Steese Highway.
- Pedestrian traffic heading east on 3rd Street from the Steese Highway will be detoured onto 4th Street behind the Eagle Plaza Mall or 2nd Street near Lat 65 Brewing Co.
- All business access will remain open throughout construction.
Throughout the construction season, be alert to SINGLE-LANE TRAFFIC, construction equipment and workers in the roadway, flagging operations and LANE CLOSURES.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with HC Contractors, is working to widen 3rd Street between the Old Steese Highway and Hamilton Avenue, which will also include upgrading utilities and resurfacing the roadway. Will work include removing existing asphalt, replacement of facilities, relocating overhead power, as well as development of new pedestrian facilities and asphalt. This project is expected to be complete in June 2022.