- Southbound traffic has been re-routed onto the northbound Glenn Highway from just north of the Artillery Road bridge to just north of the Hiland overpass. This configuration has resulted in two lanes of traffic, in each direction, divided by concrete barriers, for approximately five months while the new southbound bridge is constructed.
- While this new southbound configuration is in place, the southbound Glenn Highway Artillery Road on-ramp access is also shut down. Drivers from Eagle River will need to access the southbound Glenn Highway from the North Eagle River on-ramp or the Eagle River Loop Road on-ramp (Hiland overpass). All current Eagle View Drive frontage road access will be maintained throughout the project.
- Additionally, the southbound Glenn Highway exit ramp at Hiland is CLOSED. Drivers will need to access the Anchorage Landfill from Eagle River Loop Road.
- During construction, drivers should expect significant traffic slowdowns and narrow shoulders. Please drive safely and follow all posted traffic signs and reduced speed limits of 45 MPH through the work zone.
- Additional information can be found at www.eagleriverbridgeak.com.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in cooperation with Kiewit, is working to improve the Glenn Highway. Work will include adding a southbound lane to the Glenn Highway between the Artillery Road and Hiland Drive interchange, realigning the Glenn Highway to reduce the southbound grade south of the Eagle River Bridge, as well as constructing a new southbound bridge over Eagle River to accommodate the additional lane. Work will also include constructing a frontage road west of the mainline from the Artillery Road interchange to the Hiland Road interchange. This west side frontage road will be two-way from Artillery Road to the Eagle River Bridge and one-way from the Eagle River Bridge to the Hiland Road interchange.