- Construction crews are replacing mailboxes along Farmers Loop Road. Existing mailboxes will be placed below new installed mailboxes to be claimed and picked up by residents. The contractor will dispose of old mailboxes that remain left on the ground and unclaimed by the end of September.
- Expected to begin Friday, August 24, construction crews will be working nightly at the Farmers Loop Road and Steese Highway intersection. Drivers should be aware that traffic signals may be turned off during the night with flaggers present and LANE RESTRICTIONS.
- Expected to begin the week of August 20, crews will be paving driveway approaches. Drivers should expect DELAYS as the asphalt cools. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
- Construction crews will be working along the full length of Farmers Loop Road, from 8:00am to 10:00pm, Monday through Friday, and from 6:00am to 10:00pm, Saturday through Sunday. Please drive with caution when passing crews working on the road shoulder.
- Drivers should expect a RESTRICTED TWO-WAY TRAFFIC PATTERN on new asphalt and gravel surfaces throughout the day and night. Please pay attention to posted construction signs and drive with caution.
- Drivers should also expect daily and overnight LANE RESTRICTIONS for shoulder work between College Road and Ballaine Road. The Ballaine Ramp onto Farmers Loop may be periodically CLOSED between 8:00am and 10:00pm, Monday through Friday.
The posted speed limit is reduced to 40 MPH. Drivers should expect reduced speeds, PILOT CAR and flagging operations, and deep excavations. No road closures are expected at this time but drivers should be alert to LANE RESTRICTIONS. Crews will be removing and replacing the bike path and pedestrian traffic will be redirected onto the controlled roadway. Pedestrians should be alert to construction activity, and vehicles traveling through the construction zone. Please drive carefully and be on the lookout for pedestrian traffic that may be redirected onto the roadway.
The Alaska Department of Transportation, in partnership with Exclusive Paving, is working to resurface Farmers Loop Road. During the 2018 construction season, Farmers Loop Road and the adjacent pedestrian path will be resurfaced from Ballaine Road to the Steese Highway. In addition, large cross culverts, upgraded lighting, new signs and mailboxes will be installed. Work completed during the 2017 construction season included resurfacing of Farmers Loop and the pedestrian path from Thomas Street to Ballaine and installation of new culverts and a fiber-optic signal interconnect system. This project is expected to be complete by the end of August 2018.